The Weblo Senate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Weblo Senate

SPQW - Senātus Populusque Weblonus

WebloHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Interesting Service

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
shaper
Governor

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Interesting Service Empty
PostSubject: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeThu 26 Mar - 21:52

I thought some of you who like to build mini sites and own a couple of domains might be interested in this.

Noomle.com

Its kind of a parking company, but requires original article content and apparently indexes well. Took a bit of time to learn what I was doing and set up my first site http://longtermcareinsurancesales.com (niche keyword) but a lot of that was in filling out templates. Additional sites pretty much require me to throw in some keywords and one original article. Basically I just took a couple of articles and a wiki entry and rewrote in my own words.

Uses a standard editor (very similar to the one in weblo) for the article content so there is a lot of flexibility. You can insert images for those of you who like to capitalize on image search.

They don't charge for hosting the site, totally runs on donations (so if you get a killer site with revenue you should kick back a bit, but no specific requirements, just what you think is fair and are willing to contribute to keep the site running).

Works with adsense, yahoos ad program, cj, linkshare and several others. Ad code can be saved (for the various google/yahoo banners keyword links) so that you only have to fill that in one time. Makes production easier.

As google tends to shut down parking pages due to poor/duplicate content, this setup seems to be succeeding so far, no one has reported problems. This is probably due to the system having some checks to make sure that search engine guidelines are being followed.

Haven't had the site up long enough to see results, but I think it has good potential. You get to keep ALL of your ad revenue and all you need is a domain name, not a website, hosting or any of the backend stuff which that requires. Within the editor you have all the flexibility you have in weblo's editor. Templates vary considerably, some look more like parking pages and others look more like blogs.

Anyhow, took me about 3 hours to set up the first site (working through the how tos, etc), but I think additional sites will take me about 20 minutes each + whatever time it takes to get an article written.

There are about 10 templates so far, and they are adding more. Better templates are only available to those who have actually donated at least $2.

Site has been up and running for about two months now and has a couple of thousand pages posted, apparently. Reviews on namepros have been positive so far.

You have the option of placing a for sale link on your page. In a lot of ways its like a stripped down version of weblo, except all community stuff happens through the forum and you are playing for real. Site has a few rules, mostly designed to keep the service from getting on big G's blacklist. Pages are optimized fairly well, some of the better templates look very well layed out for search purposes. Many reports of top 5 site rankings, particularly on yahoo.

New features seem to be updated regularly and the team seems to be very responsive to user feedback and receptive to ideas. There is a directory (I think its up now) which will help strengthen all of the sites they host). Multilanguage support is up to about 10 languages now.

Alright, thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone wants to give it a shot. May not be the thing for all of you, but I think the potential is there for making some cash. You have to have a domain name (ideally one that actually gets searched for on occasion ) and you have to register on the forum.

For those who have never registered an actual domain, it costs about $8 for a .com and about $12 for a .us site. You have the option of adding a for sale link to your page(s) which can be useful if you want to build some traffic or have a good keyword and think you might want to flip it at some point.

Later.

Last edited by shaper on Thu 26 Mar - 22:06; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeThu 26 Mar - 22:04

interesting,,http://longtermcareinsurancesales.com (niche keyword) this however is or must be a niche 3 key word..lol..u and ur generic dang domains shaper,,its ur faullt i now own mormoncelebrities.com and redhaircelebrities.com..lol
Back to top Go down
shaper
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeThu 26 Mar - 22:14

Ya, its really long, but the payouts on insurance keywords are huge. Cool

lol. 480 exact searches per month for Red Hair Celebrities. If you get an upper slot on any engine its going to make money, and it should be fairly easy to manage. If you can use images to drive traffic you may do really well with that one. Not a complete shortage of hot redheads in the world of famous people.

Elle magazine is currently advertising the keyword, probably a few others do from time to time. As an exact search (in quotes) there are only 552 sites currently listed on google. Piece of cake to nail it if you have the actual domain name.
Back to top Go down
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeThu 26 Mar - 22:20

i love slam dunk plans when they come together,,now just have to fight off the senate pirate Razz however i can surely tell u this carrot top lucille bal and ron howard wont be inclded..lolololo
Back to top Go down
shaper
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar - 0:16

Looking forward to seeing it.

Added another one, if you want to look at a different template style
http://jewelryfinejewelry.com

I think I'm going to like this one, has had 3 type ins from different locations since I launched it 10 minutes ago.
Back to top Go down
shaper
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar - 8:12

And my most recent, spent a little more time on this one, made a logo, placed an image, added some videos of pool trick shots and put some babble on there. I think it turned out alright for a minisite

http://www.billiardtablesale.com/

Edit:
damn, well except for the fact that I typo'd the logo, teach me to work when I'm half asleep
Back to top Go down
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar - 8:44

hampton was big into those billiard tbales...might wanna get with him,,he had sites about them before...YO ARRFFF? what kind of dam ads u running here at the senate??

Skynet Image Unexplained
Learn about the disturbing images seen in a Skynet Security feed.
www.ResistOrBeTerminated.com

resist or be terminated?..lol
Back to top Go down
shaper
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar - 19:44

Skynet thing... click the privacy policy, serious effort at a viral campaign. Pretty cool.
They allow you to post a link to your website, so if you have anything in roughly the same vertical...

Put up another one, not sure if I used this layout yet
http://travelsites.tv

Only thing that really takes any time is writing the article. The videos page automatically collects the vids for you, you can only approve or disapprove of the whole set, though. Will have to suggest ability to individually delete or load through an input box.
Back to top Go down
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar - 19:55

dam shape,ive known your for 3 years and u still havent taken my advice on writing articles...sidebar please

skynet hmm Policy | © 2009 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc skynet.info cheers
Back to top Go down
shaper
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar - 23:14

Sidebar? Guessing that you're talking about putting them on the left so they get seen first?
Would have to change the template to do that, (which is cool because all you have to do is hit the button and pick a color and it changes the look instantly). Anyhow that what you are talking about,
Back to top Go down
Webloid
Governor

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 0:46

Why not host your own domain where you control everything and use subdomains for your mini sites?
Back to top Go down
http://www.weblo.com/member/Webloid/
Admin
Governor
Admin

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 4:19

Its not to replace websites it is for domainers that have a bunch of names waiting for future income. Google hates parkers so its a work around . This makes a parked sight appear like a qualified site. Add free hosting, ease of creation and a slight SEO advantage you wind up with a pretty good base. What i think is key is the batching some domainers own 1000's. Main point original content and keywords.
Back to top Go down
https://weblo.forumotion.com
shaper
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 7:35

Our fearless Admin leader has it right.
The advantages of a setup like this is that the sites get the benefits of interlinking within verticals (such as sports) so the sites get increased credibility by being associated with "relevant sites".

The complexity level for site development is similar to that of weblo, so it allows domain holders who aren't proficient in web design to have the potential to generate revenue and optionally notify visitors that the site is for sale. If they are using adsense or a similar program they only need to put their codes in once, which speeds deployment, most things are keyword based. If a person outsources their article writing they can set up sites very quickly. Based on reports in domaining threads, the layouts have good SEO characteristics, particularly for yahoo search.

Since they host the sites on their nameservers, hosting fees are avoided while still allowing the site to present as a top level domain. The tradeoff is that it is not a full service hosting arrangement, you don't get the control panel, instead you get an interface (similar to weblo's) and flexibility is fairly limited. So its not quite hosting, however its not quite parking either.

The development team is incredibly responsive, at least at this stage, and they get changes done very quickly when they decide to make them. Effective SEO is a primary consideration, judging from the responses in forum. They take care of all the backend stuff, like redirecting the (domain name to www.domain name) so that the engines don't treat it like duplicate content. This reduces the hassles of setting up a light domain (installing a CMS, managing files, the technical stuff), making development generally more accessible.

By requiring original content, and scanning for duplicates, the sites are potentially unique enough that they won't be easily recognized as parking pages. In fact, there is no reason why they are any less legitimate than a blog, for instance. The advantage over blogs, is that they are top level. Hard to say what the upshot of it will be, but it strikes me as a good strategy. Unlike most parking programs, you are free to promote them, which also makes them good for affiliate landing pages of some types.

Conventional parking is faster to setup, as aarf pointed out. Users generally bulk upload a massive number of sites, set one or more keywords and the parking system generates the rest. Typically these are undesireable to google as original content is non-existant and they are comprised soley of links and advertising. If they have content, it is pulled from an article base and duplication levels are high, also not good for the "user experience".
Back to top Go down
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 8:02

cursory look i can see where i would be involved,at least once i reach my 100 limit on the big G,any site that does stuff for your is a win...setting up your own ads,trying to make them fit,resizing them,moving text boxes around resizing content and videos etc,,has been a pain in the ass and the clock just ticks away while doin it,,but have learned,..
Back to top Go down
shaper
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 8:07

Admin wrote:
What i think is key is the batching some domainers own 1000's. Main point original content and keywords.
Currently batching is not allowed, by forcing an article to be written they make sure the site has at least nominal development. This is obviously a disadvantage to large portfolio owners, but in many ways this is a unique project. Even large holders may be interested in having some of their better names showcased in this system, particularly if conversion rates work out as well as the reports indicate. The person with the most individual sites currently has 87, last I heard.

A conventional parking system is being considered, the problem is implementing it without undermining what they have built already and sinking the whole concept. Whether they do this through another site or find some other way to seperate those types of sites is under consideration, according to the forums. No idea what the actual plan is, but a recent forum post suggests that something is being discussed internally. Have to wait and see.

The reason I am mentioning it here, is that given the skillsets that you all have, and the similarity of page setup to weblo's system (same page editor) that you might find it useful. Getting 100% revenue is valuable as you all know, and maintenance is lower than most full websites take.

You can buy a .info for like $2, which is less than most weblo sites, or you can get another domain extension for a bit more (think .us or your local tld (.us, .ca, or whatever) is best, especially if the name has anykind of type-in potential. Since you don't have to worry about hosting, you can get an actual domain up and running for a couple of bucks instead of a hundred dollars or so.

Of course, I've only been on there for a couple of days, and the site has only been going for about three months, so its hard to call the long range picture. Given what has been done in terms of improvement so far, and reading reports in the namepros forum and noomla forums, I am optimistic.

Worse case, you have to move your content to a hosting service and put new pages up. I always keep a copy of my articles, just in case. Of course, any backlinks would still work since they would still be pointing at your site's main page, (whatever.com), so traffic would probably not be lost to any significant degree. Will probably have a better idea in a few days when I get them indexed.

If you are interested I would suggest getting in early. They have about 2500 sites so far, and its hard to say whether the donation model is going to work out for them, at least without some limits. Indications are that they are inclined to stay with that model, although some of the staff has given mixed signals. Good chance that early players will get grandfathered in, even if a different pay model is eventually adopted. A lot probably depends on how much people voluntarily give from their revenues and the server requirements. Currently they pick up a bit of money by doing things like charging $2 for certain templates, a couple of bucks for a directory listing, and whatever people contribute. There are a lot of ways to avoid a direct fee, and that appears to be a primary goal of the actual site creator. Of course if the site gets very mainstream, they would have to figure something out to generate their own revenues, as the more people participate the less that voluntary contributions are likely to happen.

Hard to say, but at the moment, I feel that its a good thing and motivated in the right way.
Back to top Go down
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 8:16

do they register the domains for you and set them up? im in a dam war against enom and google over 7 domains theyve managed to screw the dns records .....so...could i build a page there and point it at these domains i bought through google?
Back to top Go down
shaper
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 8:30

charleston wrote:
cursory look i can see where i would be involved,at least once i reach my 100 limit on the big G,any site that does stuff for your is a win...setting up your own ads,trying to make them fit,resizing them,moving text boxes around resizing content and videos etc,,has been a pain in the ass and the clock just ticks away while doin it,,but have learned,..

Ya, thats how I feel about it. Waste so much time screwing around with the control panel, updating cms packages, administering, etc. Would rather just slap up some content and call it good. Much more fun (and useful) to be developing than worrying about the backend hassles of running a domain.

If we get a few of us involved we can do some things like link exchanges (in the same verticals), commenting each others pages, that sort of thing. Even if everyone went at it pretty much on their own, it probably has a lot more potential than weblo does for actually making money, and its always good to have motivated friends with good skillsets.

charleston wrote:
do they register the domains for you and set them up? im in a dam war against enom and google over 7 domains theyve managed to screw the dns records .....so...could i build a page there and point it at these domains i bought through google?
Always a good idea to purchase in a different place than you are hosting.
Keeps you from getting burned in a number of different ways. The most important is that the registrar won't have an excuse to seize a particularly juicy domain. It also makes it harder to "lose track" of a domain, since it has to be released by the host.

To answer your question, though, they are not a registrar.

Haven't checked out my Enom control panel too carefully, most of my sites are registered thru godaddy. No idea about sites regged through google, didn't even know they did that.

In GD you just change the nameserver to point at noomles server. Enom should have a way to do that as well. So basically you reg in one place, and host somewhere else, which gives you a degree of security. With them it takes about three screenloads and 10 seconds worth of typing to change nameservers once you know how. You don't have to screw with DNS A records or anything complicated.
Back to top Go down
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 8:43

hmm

Last edited by charleston on Sat 28 Mar - 21:06; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 9:04

never mind,

Last edited by charleston on Sat 28 Mar - 21:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shaper
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 9:15

Not sure what you already did, kinda hard to see from what you said.

Sounds like you registered at forum successfully.
Make 1 post, this will verify you aren't a bot and keep your sites from getting wiped out in a few days.
Now go to the actual site signup (link is above forum. The mynoomle link at the top). Follow the link and Apply there. Think mine took a few hours to approve, might have been quicker, I don't remember. Unless you've done something to piss them off you should get approved automatically.

They have no minimum on number of domains you can own.

Read the FAQ (link at lower part of left column)
Set up a site (have first article ready, you want to write it offsite and paste it in or you could get timed out, probably a good idea to have your adsense codes ready the same way).
Do the process and save.
Point your nameservers.
Back to top Go down
Webloid
Governor

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 10:52

Admin wrote:
Its not to replace websites it is for domainers that have a bunch of names waiting for future income. Google hates parkers so its a work around . This makes a parked sight appear like a qualified site. Add free hosting, ease of creation and a slight SEO advantage you wind up with a pretty good base. What i think is key is the batching some domainers own 1000's. Main point original content and keywords.
Gotcha, makes sense.
Back to top Go down
http://www.weblo.com/member/Webloid/
shaper
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 14:10

BTW,
the site editor is the same one weblo uses, just a couple more buttons enabled on it.
Back to top Go down
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 18:40

dam rachid guy was in the chat...atnoomle noodle
he knows i have the domains,now,,said he doesnt think about developing any thing other than .com...then said he could get them back whenever he wanted...brash mf'er..hows he goin to do that??
Back to top Go down
shaper
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 20:01

your brash, lol
Of course he can get them. He has established use, you are a member of his site. Easy win if he decides to challenge. plus he now has a chat log. No way you will be able to show it was a good faith registration. You now have a zero percent chance of winning.

Drop and get a refund, you just blew your chance. Trying to defend at this point, would just cost you money, potentially a lot of it, if they ever decide to go after you. Even if you sold to a third party at this point, you could be liable for monetary damages. If you want to play nice, offer to push the domains to him on whatever registrar you used. Alternately, if you take the grace period refund, you can at least get your money back.
You get in the parking program, or were you the first denied?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Governor
Admin

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 20:17

lol
Back to top Go down
https://weblo.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Service   Interesting Service Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting Service
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next