The Weblo Senate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Weblo Senate

SPQW - Senātus Populusque Weblonus

WebloHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Webloid
Governor

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Empty
PostSubject: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug - 13:16

For those not interested in displaying their content without getting a hit on their page here's a workaround...

Switch your Description/Bio and Owner's Message around. Put your content in the Owner's Message section of your asset page and in the Description/Bio link to your main page. Then drag the Owner's Message section to the top and the Description/Bio section to the bottom.

This way anyone hitting this stupid 'content preview' page is presented with links to your actual page and not just given your content and anyone hitting your page directly is still presented with your content right at the top of the page.

You could also use the Description/Bio section to advertise for new members/referals, link to your profile, link to your other assets or offsite pages. Make sure there are still relevant keywords in the Description section so your asset still ranks in Weblo's internal search.

Admittedly, I haven't yet tried this (the idea came to me moments ago) so there may be a downside to this strategy (character space limits?), so post your thoughts!
Back to top Go down
http://www.weblo.com/member/Webloid/
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug - 13:38

good thinking webloid,,,only downside i could see is the different character limits. the ddescription box is quite gernous with its limit,,and possibly endless...while the woners messsage is a VERY tight 3k limit...
Back to top Go down
shaper
Governor

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeFri 29 Aug - 7:59

3k is tight, but is probably enough to work with. Definitely enough to get some keyword content and a link or linking image in place. Good idea, at least in theory.
Back to top Go down
Webloid
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 14:56

I'm trying this workaround on Catherine Zeta-Jones, please take a look.

I worked up some new content and put it in the Owner/Publicist's Message and pulled it to the top, then wrote a little 'please visit me page' ad and put it in the Description/Bio section and pulled it to the bottom.

A visitor putting a hit on the page get this:

Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Asset-content

While those 'previewing' the content get this:

Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Asset-content-preview

I submitted both the asset page and and the content preview page to Google for indexing. The content in both areas is completely fresh and I've revamped other areas of the page today so hopefully it's a fair experiment.
Back to top Go down
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 15:46

now how the ehck can we add stuff to ur own submit content box..please tell me as i have a heidi montag content that weblos is raking hits on right now
Back to top Go down
Webloid
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 15:50

Just visit your page without being logged in and click on the "+" in the section you want to add content to, otherwise just log in an edit the sections as you normally would to add content.
Back to top Go down
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 15:53

ok bit is that what others are now goin to see when they visit if i do that,just wondering as i have several stars i need to fix..and am hemmorging money into rockys backpocket at the moment
Back to top Go down
Webloid
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 16:24

On the content preview page people are going to see whatever you put in the Description/Bio section.

In my example I put my content in the Owner/Publicist Message section instead and moved it to the top of my asset page so it looks normal when visiting my page, but in the Description/Bio section (the section you'd normall put your content and that is shown on the content preview page) I put a little ad with links to my main asset page and then just dragged it way to the bottom of the page where no one's really going to see it.

Basically you're reversing the contents and position of the Description/Bio and Owner/Publicist Message sections. In the end your page should look normal, but your content won't be given away without you getting a hit for it.

Remember you shouldn't be logged in if you're trying to look at the 'add content' side of your asset. If you're logged in it'll say something about not having permission or being allowed, whatever.

Look over Catherine Zeta-Jones (link above) and notice what content is in what section. Lemme know if you get stuck of frustrated I'll try to help.

We should all give this a try on an asset or two and watch for the results.
Back to top Go down
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 16:28

oooh ok,,but...that not going to auto switch whats curently indexed on the major engine right?,,,its a fix for future indexing..k..ima give it a shot on Heidi and Jlo.com
Back to top Go down
Webloid
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 17:26

Right, what's cached already will remain that way until you're indexed again, then your changes should be effective.

I also copied my little 'visit my page' add into my news articles, default community forum post, and pasted it as a comment on each of the images in the gallery so that all these parts of my page that show up in Google (thereby competing with the main page for paying hits) point to the main page. Check it out :C)
Back to top Go down
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 17:39

NOW>>>>>u have to show me how to link from the image Gallery........or is it just a text that says visit my page...
Back to top Go down
Webloid
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 17:46

I just used some text with a few links to the main page and one back to my profile.
Back to top Go down
Webloid
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeMon 1 Sep - 15:48

Take a look at another example of the workaround with a different approach on Bettie Page.

Again I've put my content in the Owner/Publicist section and pulled it to the top of the asset page. I've used the News, Description/Bio (content preview), Image Gallery, Forum (basically every other area of the asset) to spam links for the main page and my profile.

It's worth noting that *every* time I would edit existing news and submit it, Weblo would break my links. Only when I pasted fresh from my own HTML would the links work.

I'd appreciate feedback from you SEO gurus too, feel free to PM me here if you like.
Back to top Go down
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeMon 1 Sep - 20:06

should work i guess webloid,,,but, is quite cumberosme fo some fo us to go through all assets and redo..AGAIN,maybe an idea for new assets aquired etc,for me,i have added some links in some of my assets news section and communty,,,cant hurt...
Back to top Go down
Webloid
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeFri 5 Sep - 11:56

Things seem to be working out for Catherine Zeta-Jones. She's only ranking #416 at Google, but her main page out ranks her content preview page, news, image gallery, community, etc. What's even better though is....

(drum roll please) She's a top Google Images result:

#3 result for catherine zeta jones
#4 result for catherine zeta-jones
#3 result for "catherine zeta jones"
#3 result for "catherine zeta-jones"
#1 result for zeta jones
#3 result for zeta-jones
#2 result for "zeta jones"
#2 result for "zeta-jones"
#11 result for catherine zeta jones wallpaper
#6 result for catherine zeta jones photos
#5 result for catherine zeta jones pics
#6 result for catherine zeta jones images

Unfortunately none of the image results show on the main Google search page :C(

Anyway, the experiment seems successful. She's made Google Images despite the 'content reversal' tactics I've used to avoid the content preview page.

My other example, Bettie Page, has been freshly indexed by Google and is currently ranking #194 (better than Catherine by about 200 spots), but isn't showing up in Google Images (yet). It'll be interesting to see if she can rank well there too.
Back to top Go down
Webloid
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeSun 7 Sep - 11:19

Well Catherine slipped off the Google Images already, but I'll be keeping an eye and see if she pops back in again before making any changes. Either way it looks like reversing the Description/Bio and Owner/Publicist sections won't keep you from getting indexed and hitting Google Images. I'm continue the experiment with a few other assets to see if they get similar results.
Back to top Go down
Megloman
Legionnaire
Megloman

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeSun 7 Sep - 12:26

Great work here 'Loid glad to see you decided to get back into the game.

Catherine Zeta-Jones weblo images are (at this moment) on page ten in google images. There's two there and beneath both there are links to places other than weblo. Neither image takes me to your site. One belongs to a member who has over 16k hits and the other goes to a new available domain courtesy of weblo.

However your wallpaper pic is still on page one and doesn't have the extra url beneath it and does go to your site, I gave you a thumbs up but they don't make it easy for me to log on to see if I haven't rated it yet.

What I'd like to know, whithout going to check where your pictures went and how deep into google's pages for each different spelling search, have you noticed a jump in your hits from having your pics on the first pages for just a short time?

Is it possible weblo could be somehow "tagged" by google to not be allowed top positioning? I mean I see some names of sources other than weblo who always seem to be on the first page. Do you think they pay extra for that?

As to google's website searches it seems wikipedia is on the very top of most pages. Should we be adding content linked to our weblo assets on wikipedia?

Still seems like a ton of work for such miserly payouts to me but if weblo is going to replace wiki on the google search pages it needs more people like you and, a very few others around here, to show us all the way to get there...^0^
Back to top Go down
Webloid
Governor

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeSun 7 Sep - 17:34

When I posted earlier none of the first page images were mine, but now I see I'm #2 *AND* #4 :C)

Hits definitely tend to come faster on assets where I have an image that ranks high at Google Images.

Since the 15th of last month until a couple days ago Catherine Zeta-Jones had earned $0.24 (about 20 days), but since getting on the first page of Google Images results (about 2 days) she's earned 7 cents. So she went from 24 cents in 20 days (1.2 cents a day) to 7 cents in 2 days (3.5 cents a day). Whether or not that rate will sustain is hard to say, but it's definitely a change for the positive. 7 cents in a couple days isn't a lot, but at that pace it's a dollar a month and if you can get a hundred or more assets doing the same then you've got something going.

Wikipedia pages tend to rank well because there are just so many links to those pages. LOTS of people links to stuff on Wikipedia, and seeing this, Google tends to rank their pages higher because it's a 'more important' site. As a general rule, the more links you have from higher ranked sites you have, the higher you yourself will rank.

I'm sure it's possibly to be 'tagged' by Google in such a way that you can't rank highly, but I don't think Weblo is penalized by Google, at least at this time. I'm able to get images on the first page of Google Images and in some cases I'm able to rank highly in the regular search results too. Do a regular Google search for "Frederick's of Hollywood" and you'll find my asset page at #24 as of this post and I think I remember seeing it as high as #12. That same asset page also has the #1 Google Images result for "Frederick's of Hollywood". I'd be willing to bet though if you overloaded a page with keywords and stuff your rankings would suffer.

There's a crazy algorithm that defines it all I'm sure, but some experimentation and research will give you a pretty good idea.
Back to top Go down
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitimeSun 7 Sep - 19:12

over 1.5 yrs of toying with my pages ive come to see that it is written descriptive text i have on each page that google likes the best. goog is so random in their allotment and choices of pics id be better off playin lotto ,so i toss one or two up from my image gallery or somewhere but i focus more on what is written and the % relevance to the said page,..all IMO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)   Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weblo Content Preview Page - Make it Work in Your Favor :C)
Page 1 of 1