The Weblo Senate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Weblo Senate

SPQW - Senātus Populusque Weblonus

WebloHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

ftc.......

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2008-02-01

ftc....... Empty
PostSubject: ftc.......   ftc....... Icon_minitimeTue 6 Oct - 15:43

Some See Guidelines as Free Speech Threat

The Federal Trade Commission has released its revised guidelines concerning the use of endorsements and testimonials in advertising. The revisions include a focus on "bloggers" and social media users, requiring them to properly disclose when they have received payment in the form of either money or product from a company or organization and produce content regarding said company or organization. The word is that bloggers can be fined up to $11,000 per post for not disclosing.

Have you ever mentioned a free product you received online and not disclosed it? Comment here.

The reasoning behind the guidelines seems noble enough - provide transparency and keep consumers safe from hokey information. However, the concept of the government dictating how this happens does not sit well with a lot of people. The revisions (which can be found in this 81 page document [pdf], should you care to peruse them [they start around page 55]) have ruffled quite a few feathers and the conversation has become one about free speech.

Well-known author/editor/publisher Jeff Jarvis makes a really good point. He says the FTC assumes that the Internet is a medium. "It's not. It's a place where people talk. Most people who blog, as Pew found in a survey a few years ago, don't think they are doing anything remotely connected to journalism. I imagine that virtually no one on Facebook thinks they're making media. They're connecting. They're talking," he says. "So for the FTC to go after bloggers and social media – as they explicitly do – is the same as sending a government goon into Denny's to listen to the conversations in the corner booth and demand that you disclose that your Uncle Vinnie owns the pizzeria whose product you just endorsed."

It's not hard to find echoes of Jarvis's sentiment all over the web. Although, I don't believe I've seen it as eloquently put as with the Denny's analogy. Still, not everyone sees the FTC regulations as a bad thing. In fact, Google's Matt Cutts stepped into the conversation with Jeff Jarvis, expressing a bit more enthusiasm for the guidelines

-wonder if this is weblos downfall, since they pay for content owners are essentially receiving compensation for content produced via weblo
Back to top Go down
shaper
Governor

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2008-05-27

ftc....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: ftc.......   ftc....... Icon_minitimeTue 6 Oct - 18:50

Interesting that G wants to jump into this. Suppose they figure they can automate it and make everyone dependent on their services.

Complete bs

You are going to see websites with longer disclaimers than content. Imagine running a review site.
I suppose you can do a blanket one.

"This website makes revenue from endorsements, some none or all of the products that are found on this website may ..."

blah blah blah
some clever lawyer probably can get that trimmed down to one sentance that is actually legal, doesn't say anything except warn people that content may have commercial interest in places.

FTC, aren't they a flower company? Are the feds endorsing them by putting their brand name on the trade commission website? WTF? I hate stuff like this. Rumor has been out about this for a while, call it what it is, a form of selective taxation through financial penalties.

Not impressed, hopefully this bs gets shot down quickly. Not looking forward to editing a ton of sites so I can be in proper compliance of the free speech regulations and guidelines as imposed by the federal government. What the hell happened to personal responsibility for verifying information, anyone that thinks the internet is non-commercial is an idiot.

Harummpphfff
Back to top Go down
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2008-02-01

ftc....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: ftc.......   ftc....... Icon_minitimeTue 6 Oct - 20:50

its obama ftc is federal trade cmmision,,obama wants to rulke the world and ur computer
Back to top Go down
shaper
Governor

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2008-05-27

ftc....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: ftc.......   ftc....... Icon_minitimeWed 7 Oct - 17:31

My response to this turned into a thousand word essay...
so I might as well post it somewhere that can make me money, lol.

Interesting perspective by Frank Kern, a high profile internet marketer, about the implications of the FTC ruling which goes into effect in December

http://masscontrolsite.com/blog/?p=59

An essay (not monetized, who needs endorsements)
http://www.riotpolice.info/exm/balance_of_power/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ftc....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: ftc.......   ftc....... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ftc.......
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Weblo Senate :: The Senate Floor :: News from the Empire-
Jump to: