The Weblo Senate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Weblo Senate

SPQW - Senātus Populusque Weblonus

WebloHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

so much for honesty

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
charleston
Director of the Senate
charleston

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2008-02-01

so much for honesty Empty
PostSubject: so much for honesty   so much for honesty Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr - 7:25

RE: hello
Body:
Do nothing with it!

----------------- Original Message -----------------
To: Bree Amer
Date: 11 Apr 2009, 10:48 AM
Subject: hello

Hi Bree,
my names Scott, i am into webpage development and search engine seo.
Somehow i have come into ownership of your.com i have not developed it nor will i without your permission. I guess i am just wondering what would you like for me to do with it? I will abide by any wishes you stipulate as it is your name. i had several people working for me at the time,registering domains,and was just able to review my holdings. I thought it was best to contact you before i go foreward with any type fo development etc.
regards-Scott
Back to top Go down
shaper
Governor

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2008-05-27

so much for honesty Empty
PostSubject: Re: so much for honesty   so much for honesty Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr - 11:49

Interesting.
You contacted Bree Amer, or was that a contact by someone thinking you were her?

You always post stuff without explanation, lol. Tricky racket you picked. Probably would have been better if you had said something like... as I recognized your name and respect your work (or similar bullshit that gives a good reason to contact and further establishes a lack of foreknowledge)

First contact is risky, but I think you at least avoided negative intent that tends to accompany first contacts. Clearly your intentions are honorable, assuming its your letter.

If you made the contact, give it a week to simmer. Maybe she'll initiate an offer. If you don't get a response in that time frame then ask her if you'd like her to have you drop the name, and mention that it could get grabbed up by speculators during that process. Phrasing is critical, kinda groggy now, but the word choices are very important. You don't want to initiate a sales offer, but would of course be nice to draw one out.

Idea is to come off as a good guy, with her interests at heart and yet create urgency where she might decide it is safer to come out with an offer, without coming out and saying as much. Problem is if she offers you're probably ok, if you offer, then probably not. Very fine line. Very dangerous game. None of this is in any way to be construed as legal advice, I'm not a lawyer.

Have to think about the phraseology some.

Probably a way to write an opening like that, put the ball in her lap without coming out and conceding that it is exclusively her name. Tricky art, but probably worth thinking about. If you can do the smooth call well enough, it could payoff. Of course everyone reacts a little different to things. Not usable in this situation, but possibly in future reference.

More details.
Have to think about this some. Also probably relevant is if its a stage name or real name, and how many Bree Amer's are out there.

Good luck.
Wait a few days, I think is best. She might do a bunch of coke and start getting paranoid that it could fall into the wrong hands, lol. Decide to call you offer a bunch of cash and offer to sleep with you to seal the deal.

The best way of course to get an end-user deal like this requires a lot of luck, but has uses. You can build a pure fan site. The fan site won't make revenue directly but unpaid outbound links can exist. Imagine that gets into a grey area very quickly. Idea there is to find a legit use for a site, and then wait for them to come make you an offer. Non-revenue generating sites can still be useful. If the site gets popular and has actively posting members, then there is PR possibility which brings good inbound links.

Come to think of it, a fan site could be built and then a third party could make the contact with a fan letter that says something like... I love your Fansite at hername.com, I couldn't find your email there so I tracked it down, whatever. So suddenly you're holding a legit (non-generating) site, and they are aware that it exists, but you're hands are clean. At that point they are likely to consider a few options
1. ignore it (harder if you own the entire band of primary extensions).
2. Demand it, at which point you claim fan site (I think can do) and legit usage. Then sit and wait for the probable offer.
3. Make an offer

Too late for the current situation, but is a potential angle if you are in a position to hold (especially) the .com on a speculative basis.

So, I'm guessing there is a way to do this in good faith, in a greyhat kinda way. Might take a partner doing the same thing, so you can keep links very clean, by routing to each others generator sites (if any). The current situation is already activated, so it has to be played differently. But I wouldn't be surprised if there is a fairly safe angle.
Back to top Go down

so much for honesty
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Weblo Senate :: The Senate Floor :: Daily Assembly-
Jump to: